Early on, based on our professional experience we recognized the need for a high quality cardiac care center in the Caribbean region. Locals and visitors depended on overseas cardiac care centers that often resulted in sudden deaths due to time delays because of the absence of a local, well-equipped facility.
The Heart Institute of the Caribbean dream was realized in April 2005 with the opening of our first center in Kingston.
Our founder’s hard work and insight mobilized private funds; encouraged participation from local physicians; and leveraged relationships and resources to fund the multi-million-dollar, state-of-the-art, cardiovascular center. At last there was local access to optimal levels of cardiovascular care in emergency situations.
From the beginning the vision for the HIC was recruiting the best-trained, most experienced, cardiologists and technical staff to provide world-class heart care to Jamaicans, the wider Caribbean, as well as the booming tourist trade.
From the beginning, HIC became well known for bringing first and only technology to the region:
- First and only cardiovascular clinic in central Jamaica with a comprehensive menu of services including echocardiography, nuclear medicine, stress testing, holters and ambulatory BP.
- First and only myocardial contrast echo and dobutamine myocardial contrast stress echo program in Jamaica.
- First and only nuclear myocardial viability scanning in Jamaica to determine patients likely to benefit from coronary revascularization procedure.
- Only pacemaker and ICD device implantation program in English speaking Caribbean run by board certified cardiac electrophysiologists.
- Only full-service nuclear laboratories in Jamaica with comprehensive menu of nuclear services and procedures staffed by the only board certified nuclear cardiologist in Jamaica.
- First and only 24 hour emergency cardiovascular service in Jamaica with dedicated ambulance service for cardiovascular care.