Our teams are some of the most respected in the world.
Weekly Clinical Conference
The HIC weekly clinical conference is a series of seminars in which our clinicians will dissect case studies, share journals and conduct research relevant to our practice. This environment facilitates a forum of interaction among our clinicians and encourages our clinical team to stay current on indicators, relevant tests and procedures available locally and abroad.
The conferences take place every Tuesday in three formats:
- Case Presentations/Cardiac Imaging
The clinical team discusses the symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, complications (if any) and outcomes of cases.
- Journal Club
Current and interesting journal articles relevant to our practice are selected and investigated by the clinical team.
- Research Club
Clinicians formulate hypotheses, analyze and present data, discuss research findings with the aim of writing and publishing a research paper based on HIC’s work
HIC routinely sponsors visits of highly respected cardiovascular medicine specialists. Their week-long visit includes public lectures with shared experiences, as well as information on emerging trends in the field with local medical practitioners, medical students and the general public. These visits also facilitate consultations with local physicians on unusual or uncommon cases.
For further information about our education initiatives, call 876-906-2105-8 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tulloch-Reid E, Nunura F, Nepaul D, Tulloch-reid M, Baugh D, Einsiedel L, et al. HTLV-1 Seropositivity and Unexplained Dilated Cardiomyopathy in Jamaican Patients. J Cardiol Cardiovasc Ther. 2018;
- Goha A, Mezue K, Madu K, Tulloch-Reid E, Baugh D, Nunura F, et al. Stress Echocardiography in a Caribbean Population: Predictors and Performance. Vol. 201. 2018.
- Nunura F. Understanding the Demographic and Clinical Characteristics of Heart Failure to Improve Management Practices: The Caribbean Perspective. 2018.
- Anomalous twin circumflex artery identified by invasive coronary angiography and non-invasive multidetector CT angiography in A 75 Year old Caribbean Male. Potu C, Tulloch-Reid E, Baugh DS, Madu EC. 2011. J Clinic Experiment Cardiol 2:129.
- Papillary muscle function does not predict mitral regurgitation in patients with normal LV systolic function: A Transoesophageal Echocardiographic study. Madu EC, Baugh DS, Tulloch-Reid E, Potu C .International Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2011, vol 2, no 2.
- Myocardial contrast echocardiography in the evaluation of patients with hypertensive heart disease. Madu EC, Baugh DS, Tulloch-Reid E, Potu C. Cardiol Res, 2011;2(6):259-268.
- Case report: Persistent Hypokalemia in a Jamaican hypertensive patient, a case of primary aldosteronism.C Potu, H Mohammad, MK Tulloch-Reid. West Indian Medical J, 2011, 60(6).
- Clinical Utility of Trans-esophageal Echocardiography in Low Resource Environments: The Jamaican Experience. EC Madu, MK Tulloch-Reid, DS Baugh, E Tulloch-Reid, Potu C.. West Indian Medical J, 2011, 60(6).
- Developing Sustainable Cardiovascular Care for low-resource nations. Madu EC, Tulloch-Reid E, Edwards P, Baugh DS, Kong BW.
- Factors affecting study efficiency and item non-response in health surveys in developing countries: the Jamaica national healthy lifestyle survey. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2007 Feb 28;7:13. Wilks R, Younger N, Mullings J, Zohoori N, Figueroa P, Tulloch-Reid M, Ferguson T, Walters C, Bennett F, Forrester T, Ward E, Ashley D. Read More
- Death, cardiac dysfunction, and arrhythmias are increased by calmodulin kinase II in calcineurin cardiomyopathy. Circulation. 2006 Sep 26;114(13):1352-9. Epub 2006 Sep 18. Khoo MS, Li J, Singh MV, Yang Y, Kannankeril P, Wu Y, Grueter CE, Guan X, Oddis CV, Zhang R, Mendes L, Ni G, Madu EC, Yang J, Bass M, Gomez RJ, Wadzinski BE, Olson EN, Colbran RJ, Anderson ME. Read More
- Prognostic Value of Atrial Fibrillation in Congestive Heart Failure Patients. Why do we need the Atrial Fibrillation and Congestive Heart Failure Trial. ISHNE Atrial Fibrillation World-Wide Internet Symposium. 2005 Oct 31. Aldo Furlani, Denis Roy
- Anodal right ventricular capture during left ventricular stimulation in CRT-implantable cardioverter defibrillators. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2005 Jul ;28:613-9 16008795 Bernard Thibault , Denis Roy , Peter G Guerra , Laurent Macle , Marc Dubuc , Pierre Gagné , Isabelle Greiss , Paul Novak , Aldo Furlani , Mario Talajic Read More
- Calmodulin kinase II inhibition protects against structural heart disease. Nat Med. 2005 Apr;11(4):409-17. Epub 2005 Mar 27. Zhang R, Khoo MS, Wu Y, Yang Y, Grueter CE, Ni G, Price EE Jr, Thiel W, Guatimosim S, Song LS, Madu EC, Shah AN, Vishnivetskaya TA, Atkinson JB, Gurevich VV, Salama G, Lederer WJ, Colbran RJ, Anderson ME Read More
- Arterial stiffness and wave reflections in patients with sickle cell disease. Lemogoum D, Van Bortel L, Najem B, Dzudie A, Teutcha C, Madu E, Leeman M, Degaute JP, van de Borne P. Hypertension. 2004 Dec;44(6):924-9. Epub 2004 Nov 8. Read More
- Temporal changes in ventricular function assessed echocardiographically in conscious and anesthetized mice. Rottman JN, Ni G, Khoo M, Wang Z, Zhang W, Anderson ME, Madu EC. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2003 Nov;16(11):1150-7. Read More
- Improving cardiovascular disease prevention and management in Africa: issues to consider for the 21st century. Madu EC, Richardson KD, Ozigbo OH, Baugh DS. Ethn Dis. 2003 Summer;13(2 Suppl 2):S71-6. Read More
- Signal-averaged P-wave analysis of normal controls and patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: a study in gender differences, age dependence, and reproducibility. Dhala A, Underwood D, Leman R, Madu E, Baugh D, Ozawa Y, Kasamaki Y, Xue Q, Reddy S; Multicenter PHi-Res Study. Clin Cardiol. 2002 Nov;25(11):525-31. Read More
- Papillary muscle contribution to ventricular ejection in normal and hypertrophic ventricles: a transesophageal echocardiographic study. Madu EC, Baugh DS, Johns C, D’Cruz IA. Echocardiography. 2001 Nov;18(8):633-8. Read More
- Left ventricular papillary muscle morphology and function in left ventricular hypertrophy and left ventricular dysfunction. Madu EC, Baugh DS, D’Cruz IA, Johns C. Med Sci Monit. 2001 Nov-Dec;7(6):1212-8.
- Effect of ethnicity and hypertension on atrial conduction: evaluation with high-resolution P-wave signal averaging. Madu EC, Baugh DS, Gbadebo TD, Dhala A, Cardoso S; Phi-Res Multi-Study Group. Clin Cardiol. 2001 Sep;24(9):597-602. Read More
- Recurrent ischemia resulting from left internal mammary artery-to-pulmonary artery fistula. Madu EC, Hanumanthu SK, Kim C, Prudoff A. Angiology. 2001 Mar;52(3):185-8. Read More
- Transesophageal echocardiographic spectrum of calcific mitral abnormalities in patients with end-stage renal disease.Madu EC, D’Cruz IA, Wall B, Mansour N, Shearin S. Echocardiography. 2000 Jan;17(1):29-35. Read More
- Transesophageal dobutamine stress echocardiography in the evaluation of myocardial ischemia in morbidly obese subjects. Madu EC. Chest. 2000 Mar;117(3):657-61. Read More
- Crack-cocaine-associated aortic dissection in early pregnancy–a case report. Madu EC, Shala B, Baugh D. Angiology. 1999 Feb;50(2):163-8. Review. Read More
- Sex-specific differences in the P wave signal-averaged ECG. Multicenter P HiRes Study. Dhala A, Underwood D, Madu E, Angel J. J Electrocardiol. 1998;30 Suppl:34-5.
- Role of transesophageal echocardiography in the clinical management of a patients with a giant coronary artery aneurysm. Wolford DC, Jost CM, Madu EC, Walker W, Ramanatian KB. Clin Cardiol. 1997 Jun;20(6):573-5. Read More
- Dynamic left ventricular outflow tract obstruction in critically ill patients: role of transesophageal echocardiography in therapeutic decision making. Madu EC, Brown R, Geraci SA. Cardiology. 1997 May-Jun;88(3):292-5. Read More
- Reproducibility of exercise-induced modulation of cardiovascular responses to cold stress. Rashed HM, Leventhal G, Madu EC, Reddy R, Cardoso S. Clin Auton Res. 1997 Apr;7(2):93-6. Read More
- The vital role of papillary muscles in mitral and ventricular function: echocardiographic insights. Madu EC, D’Cruz IA. Clin Cardiol. 1997 Feb;20(2):93-8. Review. Read More
- Sustained nonischemic ventricular tachycardia during dobutamine stress echocardiography. Madu EC, Price A, Harris T, Badran H, Rouse C, Ramanathan KB. Cardiology. 1996 Jan-Feb;87(1):82-5. Read More
- Progression to calcific mitral stenosis in end-stage renal disease. D’Cruz IA, Madu EC. Am J Kidney Dis. 1995 Dec;26(6):956-9. Read More
- Cardiovascular complications of cocaine. Mouhaffel AH, Madu EC, Satmary WA, Fraker TD Jr. Chest. 1995 May;107(5):1426-34. Review.
- Review: the effects of antihypertensive agents on serum lipids. Madu EC, Reddy RC, Madu AN, Anyaogu C, Harris T, Fraker TD Jr. Am J Med Sci. 1996 Aug;312(2):76-84. Review. Read More
- Fluoxetine hydrochloride for the treatment of severe refractory orthostatic hypotension. Grubb BP, Samoil D, Kosinski D, Wolfe D, Lorton M, Madu E. Am J Med. 1994 Oct;97(4):366-8. Read More
- Two-vessel coronary artery dissection in the peripartum period. Case report and literature review. Madu EC, Kosinski DJ, Wilson WR, Burket MW, Fraker TD Jr, Ansel GM. Angiology. 1994 Sep;45(9):809-16. Read More
- Clinical utility of digital dobutamine stress echocardiography in the noninvasive evaluation of coronary artery disease. Madu EC, Ahmar W, Arthur J, Fraker TD Jr. Arch Intern Med. 1994 May 23;154(10):1065-72. Review. Read More
- Recurrent unexplained syncope in the elderly: the use of head-upright tilt table testing in evaluation and management. Grubb BP, Wolfe D, Samoil D, Madu E, Temesy-Armos P, Hahn H, Elliott L. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1992 Nov;40(11):1123-8. Read More