Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Experience within Cardiac care is a plus, however, we are seeking nurses with experience in either ICU, A&E, Operating Theatre or Post patient care a plus.
- Initiates and administers therapeutic interventions, such as medications, IV therapy, oxygen therapy, etc., under the parameters of the Ministry of Health and in adherence with the Policies and Procedures of the Heart Institute of the Caribbean.
- Performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures per nursing standards as well as assisting physicians with procedures.
- Directly and indirectly, through diagnostic devices, skillfully observes, evaluates and records the patients’ clinical conditions and critical events in the patient’s hospital stay, per nursing standards, through written or electronic documentation.
- Recognizes, identifies and interprets emergency situations and initiates appropriate action.
- Evaluates the response to the plan of care and achievement of individualized mutually agreed upon goals; and revises and updates the plan as necessary.
- Interprets plan of care to patient’s significant others, as well as conducting formal and informal teaching sessions on disease entities, therapeutic regimes and wellness concepts.
- Collaborates with other members of the health care team and directly and indirectly supervises the care rendered by CV techs and ancillary staff.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations; calling for assistance from health care support personnel.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
- Documents patient care services by charting in patient and department records.
- Maintains continuity among nursing teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains nursing supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies; using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Maintains a cooperative relationship among health care teams by communicating information; responding to requests; building rapport; participating in team problem-solving methods.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Qualifications and Skills
- Must be a Registered Nurse in good standing with the Nursing Council of Jamaica.
- Must be computer literate
- Must be willing to learn new cardiac techniques
- A Bachelor’s degree with postgraduate experience in a high volume facility is an advantage.
- Sessional Nurse Applicants are also welcome to apply
Must Possess: Clinical Skills, Bedside Manner, Infection Control, Nursing Skills, Physiological Knowledge, Administering Medication, Medical Teamwork, Multi-tasking, Listening, Verbal Communication, Health Promotion and Maintenance.